Reflections of STC

[This blog was written by our scribe, Marcus Choo]



I had mixed feelings as I packed for the Sixer Training Camp ("STC"). It was a mix of one part anxiety and two parts anticipation. As this is my second year attending STC, my anxiety comes from knowing that the training camp involves a lot of hard work on our part (not to mention the much dreaded INSPECTION!!!) and the anticipation comes from knowing that after working hard, we also play very hard! FUN! On top of that, I also know I will take away a lot of new knowledge and invaluable experiences from the camp.


So on the 3rd of July, I set off bright and early with 34 other cubs for the Terror Sea Scout Camp, our home for the next 3 days. We were assigned to 3 groups, Elephant, Hippo and Giraffe. I was assigned to Hippo. Over the next few days, we would be given opportunities to lead our groups and hopefully prove ourselves worthy of being appointed Sixers upon successful completion of the STC. The first thing we did upon checking in to the camp site was to pitch our A-tents, which were quite easily accomplished with some expert help from the Eagle Scouts.


The day then followed by many activities and lessons – Baloo led us through a discussion on the qualities expected of a Sixer (Skill, Initiative/Instruction, leading by eXample, Encourage and Responsibility); Bagheera taught us how to tie some knots and lashes, after which we pit our skills against each other in a knots and lashing game.


Learning how to fold the Scout Flag as well as how to go about the flag break ceremony was also very enlightening for me. I finally know what goes on "behind the scenes" during flag break. Folding a flag may look easy but is in fact quite complicated! Now I can better appreciate the flag break duty of a Sixer. After that, we also learnt how to build a mini teepee to make a fire.


Although the weather for the day had been mostly overcast, Akela decided that we should go ahead for our 10km hike to the Sembawang Hot Springs and back. The L-O-O-ONG hike made me very tired but I kept myself going by staying focused on the end goal – the glorious hot spring where we can relax and soak our aching feet in!


On the second day, I woke up rather groggy as I didn't sleep very well, having spent 2 hours of the previous night talking to Sean, a service scout. I had all of 4 hours of sleep and that didn't help in the BIG event of the morning – INSPECTION! I had trouble with inspection at last year's STC and I was determined not to commit the same mistakes again. I reminded myself that we have to work as a team and help each other so that our group will pass inspection together. We were very messy on our first attempt to arrange our belongings according to the requirements but in the end, our group was the first to pass the eagle eye of Bagheera, who was the Chief Inspector. Well done! We survived INSPECTION!


We had 2 classes on the second day – First Aid and foot drills. For the first aid class, we learnt how to carry an injured person. We learnt 3 ways to carry an injured person and also the appropriate situation to use each method – Fireman's Lift, Piggy Back and Crawl. I realized that with the right technique, carrying a person is much easier than I thought! I never knew I could lift a person that easily and securely with the Fireman's Lift!


Foot drill was a reinforcement of what we have learnt during our regular scout meetings, with a bit of marching added in. The Eagle Scouts led us in foot drills and I think they must have been rather frustrated with us – we were so uncoordinated! We definitely need more practice here!


After that was the super fun "redesigned' Self-Reliance Initiative Challenge. The first challenge for our group was The Blind Square. All the group members were blindfolded and the Sixer gave us instructions to make a tangled rope into a square. After the initial "struggle" – we were like a blind octopus with all its tentacles tangled up – we manage to complete this task. The second challenge was to let the whole group and some "supplies" (a ball) cross a "river" (some tires hanging from a rope). There were some power-ups: a boat and 3 revives. This was a difficult challenge and only 2 members of our group got across. The last challenge was about walking together with our feet "tied" to 2 long wooden planks. These challenges taught us how to trust our team members, give/follow verbal instructions as well as to work as a team in order to accomplish our tasks – important life skills that we should put to good use.


Following that, we had the much anticipated outdoor cooking session. We cooked instant noodles for our dinner – my favourite! We also get to practice what we learnt on Day 1 on lighting a fire. I enjoy outdoor cooking – the whole process of preparing and lighting the fire seem to make our food taste more delectable! The adult leaders might disagree with me on this because the chicken-in-a-tin they cooked turned out totally black!


Soon, it was time for Campfire! Our parents and family members were invited to the Campfire. It was good to see my mum and dad but it made me miss home too! My mum always says that I'm a "comfort soldier" and that Scout Camps are therefore very good for me! I would agree with her when I get home to my comfortable bed!


During the campfire, Baloo and some fellow cubs led us in campfire songs. I think that some of the cubs are very talented song leaders! It was hilarious to see my parents struggling to keep up with the action songs when the tempo went faster and faster! Each group also performed a skit. My group did a skit/song on "Mosquitoes" to the tune of a National Day song "Home". It was really fun! We also had a few games – use your mouth to pick up marshmallows from a tray of flour and "limbo rock". The parents were very "sporting" to join in the crazy fun and got their faces smeared white with flour! The service scouts also performed a dance item for us – very entertaining!


After the campfire and after we bid our parents goodbye, we had a final game for the day – Water Games! We were supposed to climb up a slippery water slope. None of us succeeded in reaching the top but we actually had more fun sliding down the slope and getting wet!


I slept like a log after the very long day.


On the third and final day of camp, after striking tent, we were tasked to clear the campsite of rubbish. While each assigned group went about clearing the rubbish, the rest of us broke into song to encourage them and entertain ourselves! How's that for camaraderie! After that, we had a last lesson of the camp – leading a game. I realized that being Game master is another task that looks easier than done – you have to explain the rules clearly; lead and ensure the participants play fair and enjoy the game! Not easy at all especially when you are leading a large group in the game. We put our newly acquired skills to good use and played a game of human tic-tac-toe to round up the lesson.


After that, it was time to go home and complete all our uncompleted homework! Yikes! Not sure which is worse – Inspection or the fury of teachers over uncompleted homework?


Overall, the STC was really enjoyable – we worked really hard and had double the fun as well! I learnt a lot, made some new friends and hopefully, I'll make it as a Sixer so that I can put to practice all that I've learnt at the camp. In fact, I'm thinking that I will attend next year's STC as a service scout – for a different perspective!


Comments