North Area Solar Oven Competition 16 Sep 2023

By Emu Sixer Niu Yunhan

It was a bright day when I arrived at the kidzone. We could not sign badges because the leaders were busy preparing for the solar oven competition. I set the materials I bought next to my six and discussed energetically about the solar oven that we were going to build.
We gathered in Indian File and welcomed other cub scouts from the North Area to Henry Park. They are cub scouts from Endeavour Primary, Keming Primary and Woodgrove Primary.
Bagheera gave us a briefing and led us to the canteen to start building our solar oven.
Each six is split into 2 groups. The 2 senior sixers form 1 group. In total, we have 27 groups participating in the competition.
Bagheera had a small surprise in an offer, telling us that we had to answer some questions about scouting in order to get extra materials. Seeing that our group did not have a lot of black paint, my group sent me to get some black paint and a brush. The first question was easy enough, asking what the motto of scouting was. The next question stumped everyone who tried to get extra materials. The question was “Who brought scouting to Singapore?”. Luckily for me, the leaders were nice and asked me another question, which I answered easily.
I brought back the materials and we started building. We made a few mistakes but with a little tips from the leaders, we successfully built our solar oven. It looked weird, but we could not wait to try it out. I set the solar oven outside and we waited impatiently for the egg to cook. We pitied Favian as he was the duty sixer and had to stand outside in the hot sun to present our oven to the judges. There were 4 judges. The judges are representative of each school.
We then moved to the kidzone where we sang songs and played games.
Finally the leaders were going to announce the winner, the first runner up, and the second runner up. The atmosphere was really intense as we tried to read the words on the leaders’ notebooks to give us a hint who had won. Finally, the winners were announced.
3rd: Keming Primary Group 1
2nd: Wombat Group 1
1st: Endeavour Primary Group 1
We were all very happy for them.
After a debriefing, we took our bags and went home. I cannot wait for the next meeting!

Comments