Community Service - Making Mooncakes with AWWA 31stAugust2019


Written by Foo Zhen Xi, Asst Sixer & Scribe
 
It was a sunny Saturday morning and I was sleeping until my dad woke me up for scouts, we were making moon cakes with the elderly! I jumped out of bed and got ready. when my dad fetched my brother and I to school, the school looked so empty…the first person I saw was Isabelle, who used to me the sixer of wombat. I also saw other scout wearing red scarfs, I thought it was weird so I asked her,"what are you doing? where is everybody? why are you wearing a red scarf? what's going on?” “ Akela award interview. I'm getting ready, everyone is in the kid zone 1 and also, you’re not supposed to be here.” She said. I grabbed my brother’s hand and walked to the kid zone while waving goodbye to Isabelle.
 
I put my bag on the floor and went to look for my friends, i couldn’t find anyone so I went to the field and played by myself. Not long after, Yee Xin, a member of my six appeared. I asked her where she was and she said she was helping her parents setting up the tables. Later, Hannah, my friend came along looking very scared. Oh no, she did something wrong, I thought. Apparently, she didn’t do anything to get her badges. I was pretty fed up with her.
 
Soon, everyone was here other than the scouts who went for the Akela interview. We were told that the elderlies will be arriving soon and were gathered at the car park. Later, we chose an elderly to look after when the existed the bus. There were at least enough elderlies for each scout but i ended up with 2 elderlies and they were really nice and patient, both of them treated me like their own grandchild. Our first activity was games, we played a ring toss game and then, a balloon passing game. The two ladies I was looking after were quite scared of who strict Mr Lin was toward the cub scouts.
 
After a few rounds of games, it was time to make the mooncakes. All of us took our elderlies and brought them to the canteen. we made the dough cake part of the mooncake while some of the scouts made the insides of the unique cake. We experienced that the moon cake moulds did not work very well but the pattern-punching thingy works much better.
 
Our doughs ran out fast and we packed our moon cakes for the elderlies and us. However they insisted that they didn’t want the mooncakes as they wanted to make their own at home. Still, I felt bad for taking something that wasn’t for me so I came home without any moon cakes.
 
It was time for us to eat lunch. we had chicken rice and pure water was prepared for us. I was the first to finish my food in my six. Later, I gathered with my six as the elderlies wanted their time alone with each other so i asked my friends how well they were bonding with the elderlies. “awkward,” said Hannah, she was looking at the ground.
 
We were interrupted by the two ladies i was looking after and one of their husband who wanted to go to the toilet. I brought the two elderly ladies to the woman toilet as I took the man to the boys washroom.
 
When he was done, I brought him back to the canteen then went back to look for the two other elderlies who were playing hopscotch. They said it was their favourite game as a child.
 
When we were back in the canteen, soon after we had to gather again as the elderlies had to leave. we gave them goodie bags  and sent them off from the carpark.
 
It was fun bonding with the elderlies and seeing them so happy.

Comments