Cyclist & Arrow Badge Tests, 1st September 2012

Written by Claudia Kong (Assistant Sixer) & Justin Kong (Senior Sixer)
 
 
        A cyclist’s point of view … 

I woke up feeling very excited, as I will be taking my cyclist badge test today.  I arrived in school at 8.45 am, pushing my bicycle with one hand and holding my helmet and air pump in the other. 

Soon, many cubs streamed in with their bicycles and helmets too. At 9 am sharp, Akela gathered us to test us on the important things we need to do to take care of our bicycles and how to be a safe cyclist. 

As soon as Akela was done, it was time for us to cycle around the school. I was very anxious as I thought that I would not be able to pass the cyclist test. I was in the last queue. 

One of the difficulties that I encountered was the hand signal. It was challenging, as I have to stretch my hands out while cycling. But I manage to do it! Hooray!
 

        A bystander’s point of view … 

I rushed to the scene just in time to see the first batch of cyclist want-to-be, races off with their bikes. It reminded me of the time when I took the test. It was amazing how the cyclists managed to do it so swiftly and smoothly.

After less than a minute, the first batch was racing back and trying their best to raise their hands. When they hit the finishing line, I heard Akela shout “ Passed! ”. It felt good to see the first batch of cyclist beaming with pride and heaving a sigh of relief.

Before I knew it, the second batch took off! Then the third batch, who was much faster than the rest. Sadly their speed caused 2 of the cyclist to redo their test. This is because the cyclist badge was focused on safety rather than speed.

The fourth batch raced away and came back before Akela shouted “Passed!”. And then the two speeding cyclists retook the test but this time round, they came back passing with flying colors.

Soon we have 15 beaming young cyclists who had passed their test!

Right after that, many scouts went on to sign off their badge and many managed to achieve their Bronze and Silver Arrow and many proficiency badges! Awesome! Well done to all!

What a happy ending to a perfect Badge Test session! Wishing everyone a happy holiday!
 














Comments