Scout Meeting – Saturday, 9 April 2011

Scout Meeting – Saturday, 9 April 2011

By Pelican Scribe Brandon Khaw

‘Yippee’, time for another fun scout meeting! I wonder what we would be learning today. I thought as I changed into my scout uniform.


I hurried to school early as I wanted Akela to sign some of the things I have completed to earn my gold arrow progress badge. Oops! I came one step later. There was already a long queue ahead of me. Well, I just had to wait after the meeting – I hope.

We had first aid lesson that day. We learned how to tie an arm sling and reef knot. An arm sling is used to bandage a broken arm and the reef knot is used to connect two strings to hold up the bandage. We then split into our own Sixes’ Corner to practice while the Sixers taught the recruits to tie an arm sling.

We had so much fun practicing on each other until Baloo decided to gather us together to practice our wonderful vocal cord….Singing time. Imagine the justice we did to the late Michael Jackson’s song “Heal the World” as we struggled to sing in harmony. Baloo must be cringing in horror! Nevertheless, we persisted and sang rather well in the end. Baloo selected some cubs who sang like an angel to lead the song in the upcoming District campfire at West View Primary School.

Phew! Singing seems to last for eternity. I was so glad it was finally over. Hurrah!! It is game time. I love the physical fun. We had a competition on arm sling and reef knot tying. The first game was to test our speed in tying an arm sling. Guess what? I came in second in this event!

For the knot tying competition, we had fun by challenging each other in speed of tying in the front where we could see what we were doing, behind our back, above our head and then using only one hand (this was tough). It was hilarious seeing how the sixers struggled in tying the reef knot with only one hand!

Alas, all good fun must come to an end. Akela briefed us on what to bring for the next meeting. We are going to make Easter Bunny mask!! I really look forward to the next meeting.

We were dismissed after the flag break and I rushed to get my stuff for Akela to sign. Akela was so busy that in the end, Ms Tan helped me to sign on those items that I had completed. It was great as I am on my way to get my gold arrow very soon.

After a whole morning of fun, it is home sweet home………

Comments