Earth Hour and Job week collection

Earth Hour and Job week collection

26 March 2011
By Scribe Marcus Choo

Time flies and the March holidays and Job Week are over in a flash. At today’s meeting, all cubs had to hand in their Job Week money to Akela.

After horseshoe, Akela conducted a quick survey on how much money we earned. $50? Quite a few cubs raised their hands. $100? $200? $300? I earned slightly more than $200. Less and less cubs raised their hands as the amounts went up until 1 cub was left, earning more than $650. Well done!

Next, we went to the music room to hand the money up. 2 Sixers were assigned to an adult leader, and I was first to hand my money up. Some cubs handed in a whole stack of coins and the adult leader had a hard time counting them! Wish we had one of those coin counting machines used at the banks! I was glad that almost all the cubs remembered to bring their job week earnings. Well done, cubs! Despite a couple of instances where there was discrepancy in the amount stated in the Job Week cards and the amount of money, the counting was soon done and we could move on to our next activity. Yeah! All these money matters gave me a headache!

Finally, our annual Earth Hour project. This year’s project is a creative solar oven! The materials needed are a shoe box, some aluminium foil and black paper. It is very easy to make – just paste the aluminium foil on the entire inside of the box, and black paper on the outside. Cut a hole in the top cover and then prop the flap up with sticks. Then you can put it under the sun and cook something in it! I think this is a very interesting idea, as it helps to reduce fuel emission, but I’ve a nagging suspicion that it will take a long time to cook something!

Akela showed us a completed solar oven and we are supposed to have one made at home. I can’t wait to see how long it takes for an egg to cook in my solar oven! It’ll be fun!

PS: I wrote this blog under candlelight during Earth hour, when all the lights and television were switched off at home. Since there’s nothing much to do (no TV, no books, no computer), I decided to write this blog on paper by candlelight – how apt! Glad to have done my little bit for GAIA!

Comments