Handover Ceremony 20thJuly2019


Written By Ross Pary, Deputy Senior Sixer and Chief Scribe

Today was a very special day for me for two reasons: one, I took part in the Japanese homestay program and was allowed to bring my buddy, Uta to scouts. Secondly, it was the day of the Handover ceremony! This meant that the primary six appointment holders would step down and let the primary four and five scouts takeover. However, the handover was at 11am, so I had to wait two long hours. Before the handover, we had a few activities. First was compass reading. I was very excited as this was a part of the difficult map reading badge.

After a while, we had learned to use a compass. Then, Mr Cheong taught us about map reading skills. He taught us how to use the online Street Directory and how to plan a route. He also told us what to look for when on the route.

The time passed quickly and it was time for (drumroll, please)... the Handover ceremony! The primary four scouts were called out and their appointments were first announced. Then, one by one, the primary five names were announced and their appointments given. When my name was called, the butterflies in my stomach grew large. Sixer! I was happy! I got my promotion!

However, after the primary fives had received all their appointments, Mdm Kerina explained that they have not decided on who would be the senior sixer and assistant senior sixer. Thus, there would be two deputy senior sixers (Ross & Thirrushan) and they were on probation hold for about four weeks.  After the probation they would then decide on who would be the Senior sixer and Assistant Senior sixer. The same was mentioned about all the new appointment holders who were acting. Mdm Kerina also informed that all appointment holders would be given their certificates later.

After the appointments were announced we took part in the traditional ceremony by carrying the outgoing appointment holders by using our arms to form a ‘chair’. We had great fun doing it and the Primary 6 outgoing scouts enjoyed themselves.

Mr Cheong announced subsequently the points each six had. Echidna was in the lead with more than 1000 points. The others had less than 800 points and one six had negative points! He emphasized that it was now up to the new appointment holders to improve their six points. He also mentioned one important strategy was to obtain badges and they would score many points.

I was still thinking about my appointment as Deputy Senior Sixer! I was grinning from ear to ear! And another good thing is that after the handover ceremony, Mr Cheong told me that I was the Chief Scribe! Yay!  He also assigned Marco, Farren, Zhen Xi and Rui Min to join the existing scribes (Thirrushan and I).

Finally as I received all these badges, I reflected on how much responsibility had been given to me and vowed to do my best to be a leader.

Comments