North Area Cub Scout Leadership Training Camp Day 1 on 03 July 2026

 By Senior Sixer Alessia Kwok

This time, the Cub Scout Leadership Training Camp (Sixer Training Camp) started on a Friday instead of the usual Saturday.
After being dismissed from school, I headed home for lunch, changed into my scout uniform, and quickly returned to school with my camping bag for Day 1 of camp.
I was excited but also a little nervous because there would be participants from other schools, so I would be taking part in the activities with many unfamiliar faces. When I arrived at school, I was pleasantly surprised to see more girl scouts than I had expected.
The start of the camp was slightly delayed because some schools were unable to arrive on time. Once everyone had gathered, we quickly split into our groups. I was in Hedgehog, and I was relieved to find a few familiar faces there—Sarah Li, Gangaa, and Alexa.
It was soon time for dinner, but not before we learnt the "makan cheer" from Hathi, which we had to perform before every meal. Although we couldn't bang the tables as we usually did because we were eating at KidZone, we shouted the cheer with just as much enthusiasm.
Dinner was delicious. We had a chicken burger with egg and a banana. I was so hungry that I finished my meal before some of my group mates had even finished their burgers. Sarah didn't want her banana, so I happily ate that too.
After dinner, we headed to the area where the tallest tree in Henry Park once stood before it was cut down, and pitched our tents there. Even though the Pelican girls were placed in different sixes, we still ended up as tentmates, with three people sharing each tent. My tent had a broken pole and a broken loop, so we had to roll it up and exchange it for another one. Unfortunately, the replacement tent also had a broken pole, so we used one of the spare poles because there were no more tents left. In the end, with some help from Service Scout Melody, we managed to pitch our tent successfully.
Once we had settled into our tents, we prepared for the night hike to the Singapore Flyer by packing our day bags with water bottles, first aid kits, and ponchos.
As this was the first leadership camp for participants from some of the other schools, the leaders decided not to have the usual 10 km hike, as it would have been too challenging for some of them. Instead, the hike was split into two shorter hikes, with the second hike taking place on Day 3 of the camp.
After returning to school from the hike, everyone quickly received a few instructions from the leaders before heading into our tents to retire for the night.

Comments