Shelter Building on 28 Sep 2024

By Emu Sixer Zhe Yuan

When I arrived at school, I was warmly greeted by a group of my friends. After we recited the scout promise and law, we were divided into two groups: Year 1 and Year 2 together, while Year 3 formed the other group.


The Year 1 and 2 scouts were learning how to set up a tent, while the Year 3 group focused on building a basha. I was part of the Year 3 group, where we learned about the knots needed for the sides and the purpose of a basha. Meanwhile, the Year 1 and 2 scouts engaged in a friendly competition to see who could set up their tent the fastest.


After their competition, we held our own race to see who could build the basha the quickest. However, Ikki decided to join in and built his basha by himself, finishing it faster than all of us, despite there being six people in each of our groups!


After all the excitement, we were instructed to tear down our bashas and return to a single line, known as “Indian file.” I reunited with my cubs and was thrilled to learn that our group had emerged as the winners, alongside Echidna. I was ecstatic and shared some candy with my cubs to encourage them, and they showered me with thanks.


We then formed a horseshoe for the closing ceremony. After the sunset party, we held a Sixers Council where we agreed to focus on discipline as our goal for the next meeting, especially with the night hike coming up. After all of that, we headed home, feeling satisfied after a great day at scouts.


Happy scouting

Comments